Monday 12 October 2009

Reading Habits

Gary over at Tainted Archive memed me with these reading habit questions so here’s my answers…

Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack?
Very rarely.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
Horrifies me. I like them to look as new after I’ve read them.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears?
Bookmarks. Used to rely on memory but as I’ve got older….

Laying the book flat open?
Never.

Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?
Around about 99% fiction.

Hard copy or audiobooks?
Have never listened to an audio book. Doesn’t appeal to me.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?
I can put it down at any point but do try to do this at chapter end if possible…but then again some authors make it impossible to leave a book at chapter end.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
I can usually work its meaning out. If there’s a dictionary nearby I’ll look it up there and then, if not I’ll remember it and look it up when I can.

What are you currently reading?
Harlan by Frank Roderus and The Guns of Sapinero by Frank Leslie – which I guess kinda answers a question to come.

What is the last book you bought?
The Rattlesnake Season by Larry D. Sweazy.

Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?
Sometimes, although it’s rare. I read a few on the computer but as I don’t want to spend too much time before a computer screen – and as the computer stays in one room – I’ll read a book at the same time.

Do you have a favourite time of day and/or place to read?
Anytime, anyplace. Quite often I try to read for an hour or so after getting in from work, giving my body time to relax.

Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?
I collect series so therefore read more series books, but I enjoy stand alone titles just as much.

Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
Not really. It would depend whom I’m recommending an author to.

How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
As most of my collection is made up of series books then that’s how they get stored, in number/publication order. The size of the bookcase dictates which series is on which shelf and I try to keep all books from one series on the same shelf. Stand alone titles are dotted around to fill gaps, although I do try to keep the same authors’ work together. Due to space many of the books I read end up in storage.

Joanne Walpole, consider yourself memed.

2 comments:

Larry D. Sweazy said...

I hope you like The Rattlesnake Season.

Steve M said...

Looking forward to reading it very soon.